Friday 29 September 2017

FridayFiction - Brasso And Death - From the Vault 2013

I wrote the follow short fiction inspired by a jokey comment by a friend while she was making a Xena: Warrior Princess costuem.

It is really rather dark and there's a Content Warning for depictions of violence and death. It's darker than I expected, so be aware.

Also, I wrote it in 2013 when the scenario seemed mostly unlikely. Today... maybe less so.

*

In the moment, all I know is the smell of Brasso and Death.



It is dark: the kind of all-encompassing dark one's eyes and mind never adjust to. On my back, I reach directly up with my hands and meet nothing but cold, still air. I roll onto my right and feel warm, sticky something transfer from floor to face. It slides onto my lips and the stale iron taste makes my stomach clench, ready to vomit.

I haven't been in the dark like this since I was thirteen, pot-holing on a school trip. We went deep into a mountain and turned our helmet lights out. There was nothing but the sound of our voices. We thought it was five minutes, but the light was doused for only thirty seconds. Time has no meaning in the dark.

There's no mistaking the Brasso, but I don't know why. It reminds me of Sunday mornings when my dad did his cleaning chores. Boot polish, disinfectant and Brasso, a combination of stinks filling the tiny yard we called our garden. It was a postage stamp of withered lawn, half-a-dozen cracked concrete patio slabs and two half-dead ferns in pots.

I could be anywhere, and it could be any time of day. I have no idea what's going on. If knowledge is power, I am a weakling. It is almost liberating: if I have no power, I cannot fail.

I sit up and the back of my head aches from lying on the cold, icy floor. Reaching back, I can at least be reassured that the blood is not from my own skull. A brief check all over suggests I am uninjured, except for returning to consciousness in a pitch-black place surrounded by the stench of Brasso and Death.

I reach out, my trembling hands not wanting to find anything in the dark and knowing they will. There, a few inches to my left, a hand, cold and stiff with rigor. I have small hands, this is smaller. I grasp it for a moment, as if I could restore life by wishing, then drop it with disgust and horror.

There is no light and death is close by. Uncertain of anything at all, I resolve to stand and investigate. My legs ache, stiff and bruised but after slipping in blood I make it to my feet. Shuffling, not knowing what I might find, my shoes make contact with hair, clothes and the corpses of I couldn't possibly guess how many people.

In my nose the stink of oil and ammonia, metal and rotting soft tissue as I try to move around. I tread on a hand and stumble forward. Instead of hitting the floor, I crack my head on a concrete wall and sprain my wrist in the attempt to break my fall.

The surprise of it brings me to my senses and now I remember.

They came for us. I never thought they would, because we didn't do anything wrong. They came for us just the same.

There is nothing in my stomach to lose, but my muscles spasm into painful dry heaves just the same.

They came for us. I never thought they would, because we weren't the ones they wanted. We weren't dangerous, we weren't radical. We were good people who lived quiet lives, not agitators or criminals. We didn't sign petitions or go on marches. They came for us just the same.

I lean against the cold wall, improbably the only living creature in a roomful of people.

I remember. I remember what I'd forced myself to forget: how they came for us because they'd already come for everyone else.

They hadn't the infrastructure to deal with so many of us. We were locked in what had been a storeroom once, gallons of bleach and other such things lined up in neat rows on metal shelves. The bleach was gone but the smell remained as we were shoved inside, twenty or more in a space intended only for cans, bottles, tins and containers. The children – there were six – scrabbled up onto the metal shelves to give us more space. We had been left six litres of water between us.

We were locked in to wait, we supposed. No law or justice could protect us, so we could only assume that we would be retrieved at some point. Time passed. Tempers flared, cooled, rose again. The small bucket we used as a toilet filled quickly. With nowhere to empty it, the blue plastic bucket stood in a corner reeking and we were forced to abandon any notion of decent sanitation. Soon, as we grew hungry and thirsty, even our bowels and bladders ceased full function.

One man, a silver-haired gent who took very badly to relinquishing his dignity and would not tell anyone his name, kept time on the blank concrete wall in blood drawn from his finger. One short smear was an hour, the line drawn through the marks represented 12 hours. We moved into a third full day and he kept scrupulous time with the gold watch he had hidden from our guards in his underwear.

By the fourth day our carefully-conserved stock of water was gone. Some of the grown ups collected their urine in the empty water bottles and drank it. The children tried to do the same but gagged at the smell and the taste. I refused at first, but thirst got the better of me quickly. Human beings will do all sorts of previously unthinkable things if they have to.

This is the truth I had forced myself to forget. They came for us, in broad daylight. There was no hiding, no scuffles in the dead of night. They did not need to hide, did not want to hide. It was in their interests to show their form of law in action. My crime was not explained to me when I was taken or at any later point. I was simply taken.

They came for us because they could.

The fourth day proved the breaking point for some. A woman called Julie, who had started this bleak adventure with what I'd considered indefatigable optimism, smashed her head against the wall   so hard she knocked herself out. When she roused, she did it again three times and didn't wake again.

The silver-haired gent's finger wouldn't bleed sufficiently after four days and six hours. My brother sliced his own index finger open on the rough corner of a shelf and took over for him. The door stayed locked, and we began to discuss the possibility that we had been forgotten about, or that this was the entirety of our punishment simply to remain here. It was efficient on their part to just lock us away and forget about us.

They came for us, but it didn't follow that they should expend much effort to destroy us. We were nothing, after all, but people.

On the fifth day, the silver-haired gent did not wake up. My brother took his watch and kept up the time-keeping. We had five corpses at that point: Julie, the Gent, one of the children and two young women who had requested strangulation from one of the men and been granted.

My mouth was painfully dry and my body felt like lead. I drifted in and out of a sleep that brought no rest or peace. The moaning and indignant grumbling of the first few days had given way to hopeless silence except for the shallow, rattling breaths of the still-living.

Then one of the women spoke up: “I'm not having this. What have we got left here?”

Her voice was slow and her vowels barely formed, but we understood. It took an age but we established that we had a bucket of effluent, a gold watch, six empty litre bottles and there were three tins of Brasso, presumably left over from the room's time as a store.

A plan formed. My brother and a woman volunteered. The five surviving children were pulled from the shelves, hugged and kissed, then my brother and the woman used the cans of Brasso to cave in their heads. It was a quick death, as merciful as could be provided.

They came for us and left us to rot. We would not give them the satisfaction of a longer death than this.

The children were restored to their shelves except one, whose mother had no tears to weep but clung to the son on the floor. It was his tiny hand I had found when I woke.

My brother lost the will for more death after that and dropped the can to the floor with a clunk. He returned to his time-keeping for two hours, then ripped his wrist against the shelf and slid down the wall bleeding out too slowly for mercy.

The woman offered the same blunt force trauma to everyone else, fired up in righteous fury. Many took her up on it, refusing to exist in this place any longer. Then, she had no more strength left and crashed to the floor herself. She fell to catatonia and her breathing slowed until her open eyes stilled.

They came for us, even though they had told us we had nothing to fear, nothing to hide for having done nothing wrong.

One of the last survivors managed to get a can of Brasso open. She waved it aloft as if a Cosmopolitan and drank it, gagging on the fatal cocktail until she spit blood. Another person took the can and imitated, and another until it was empty. Another can was opened, more people resigned from the situation. Then, the lights went out.

How I came to be the last left I cannot say. Staring with dry, sticky eyes at the desolation, I suppose I passed out. Why I came around again I do not know, how I remain alive in this coffin, I do not know. My brain does not function as it should, though better than the circumstances demand. I cannot see in the blackness. I have no way out except to wait for my body to break. I cannot think it will be much longer. All I know is the smell of Brasso and Death.


They came for us after promising security. They came for us because they had already come for everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment