Thursday 21 September 2017

100 Awesome Things - Part 36 - Brand New And Hot Off the Press

OK, I know that as far as the New Blog is concerned, the next part of 100 Awesome Things should be numbered Six, not Thirty-Six.

Except, of course, parts Six-Thirty-Five already exist and they're scheduled to post over the next couple of months.

This couldn't wait. Why?

Today, there's a new soul in the world to whom a part of my heart belongs. Today, one of my dearest friends was delivered of a healthy baby girl. Anyway, I'll get back to that...

*

In the 1970s, when rock music, private golf clubs and the Church had similar admissions criteria for membership (must be a dude, even if you're a total arsehole), there were a few women who made a place for themselves in the world of rock music.

Most of those women made it by getting up on stage, and you know them already. There weren't many women who were able to take positions of power or influence behind the scenes.

One woman who did was Rosalie Trombley, of whom I do not know a great deal, but I do know that her work as music director for one of Canada's most important radio stations influenced the content of radio across Canada and the US, and from there the charts and music itself.

Power and influence? She's the reason "Bennie and the Jets" became a hit, and so she's the reason for that bit in 27 Dresses.

Bob Seger wrote a song about her, which a little band from Ireland then covered live...


When I started writing the story that would become Walking in the Shadowlands, the main female character was immediately named Rosalie Cochran. Rosalie, for the song; Cochran for Eddie.

In time, I discovered that I had named a fictional rock music pioneer after a real one, which was the kind of awesome universe glue that I enjoy.

The lyrics wot Seger wrote can be taken super-literally - Rosalie Trombley did have 'the tower', hence the stations' broadcast power. On the other hand, it's a story about a girl who loves music.

The Rosalie I wrote was devoted to the power of music, for better or worse. She was a bit imperious and bossy, but she had a heart the size of Jupiter. She was smart and empathetic. She was defiantly independent, unapologetic for who she was and endlessly, but not unquestioningly loyal.

The Rosalie I wrote lived an extraordinary life.

So, I hope you'll forgive me hijacking the 100 Awesome Things, because today, there's a new soul in the world. Shiny, new and full of potential...

Every so often, something so marvellous happens that the scars upon one's heart are eased a little. Today is such a day.

There is a new Rosalie in the world today, and I hope her life will be as extraordinary as that fictional Rosalie's... and then far surpass it. I will do what's in my power to help make that happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment